Tuesday, May 20, 2014

20k Hike in Lamination National Park



So this was our third trip for my course Australia's Terrestrial Environment. We went to Lamington National Park, which is a mountainous area south of Brisbane and west of Coolengatta. We split into 4 groups and hiked different trails around the national park. I choose to do a 17k trail through rainforest, sclerophyll, and volcanic rocks, finishing with a walk through caves (see below right). I had such a wonderful time! We walked at a pretty slow pace, stopping to learn about plants and take in the amazing view (see above!). We saw a mother and baby pademelon (small forest kangaroos), which were really cute, but I didn't manage to get any good pictures of them. We ended up taking a slight detour in order to hike to a waterfall, upping the distance to 20k. I didn't mind, the waterfall was beautiful (below left). We stopped to admire it, and of course, as I was crossing the stream I fell. I wasn't hurt, I'm super clumsy and basically fall every time I hike so it was expected. The good news is that I fall and trip so much, I know how to fall properly and catch myself tripping so that I'm rarely hurt from my tumbles. I had such a nice day, this trip renewed my enthusiasm for hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment