Sunday, August 3, 2014

Reunion in Sydney!


All things must come full circle and my experience in Australia is no exception. I ended my time in this country in the same city I began it in: Sydney. My family came to Australia to meet up with me before we all went to New Zealand for a week. I hadn't seen them in 6 months with is the longest ever I've gone without at least a weekend visit, so I was so excited to see them. I arrived in Sydney the night before they did and they got in the next day at 7a, so I got to wake up to them arriving which was wonderful! We then spend our first day exploring Sydney. We did a couple of things that I hadn't gotten to my first time there. We went to the Torranga Zoo so that my sister could see some Australian animals. My sister's favorite is the kookaburra, so we were determined to find one. We spent a long time looking at a very puffy kookaburra in one of the exhibits. However, on our way out, a wild kookaburra landed on a branch right above me. He had a large piece of what looked like pizza in his mouth (below) and attempted to smack it against the tree trunk to break it into smaller pieces. It was so funny to watch! 


That afternoon I took my family to get some pies, so they could try some typical Australian food. We then walked around the Rocks, and we ended up in the oldest pub in Sydney. My dad wanted to get a beer at an aussie pub, so we did so. It was actually my first legal (American legal) drink with them, so it was really cool. 

                      

The next day, we went to the Opera House, the Botanical Gardens and Bondi Beach (above). This was interesting because they were all things I had done but in the summer rather than the winter. Bondi was empty, rather than over crowded, but it was fun to go with my family and experience the sights I most enjoyed last time I was in Sydney. I liked experiencing Australia with them, though I was a little sad we didn't have time to make it to Brisbane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment